BOARD OF REPS
The Board of Representatives is made up of 12 committees (found below). For a full description of each committee, along with agendas, minutes, and reports, click here.
Generally, each committee of the Board of Representatives meets on the same date each month. You can find that calendar here.
Want to stay in the loop? Board communications are posted weekly here, including agenda, minutes, and reports.
Board of Representatives Committees
- Appointments - interviews and determines qualifications of candidates nominated by the Mayor for appointment to city boards, authorities, and commissions, as well as appointed city department heads.
- Education - monitors activities of the Stamford Public Schools and the Stamford Board of Education.
- Fiscal - monitors the policies and performance of the Department of Administration and makes recommendations to the full Board on budgets, grants, bonding & refunding resolutions, and contracts related to the city's fiscal operation
- Housing/Community Development/Social Services - provides oversight on Stamford's affordable housing initiatives and on-going review of annual grants (Community Development Block, Neighborhood Assistance Act, and HOME funds).
- Land Use/Urban Redevelopment - recommends street acceptances and closings, establishment of fees for Planning and Zoning Board applications & Zoning Board of Appeals, ordinances related to rental properties, demolition and rehabilitation of properties, trees, and landscaping, all Urban Redevelopment projects, contracts related to revaluation and assessment of real property, and status updates of major projects and activities, including the Enterprise Zone and zoning enforcement
- Legislative and Rules - recommends city ordinances for enactment by the full Board, approval of land purchases/sales and leases of property by and to the city, assesses tax relief programs and recommends changes, and provides expertise to other committees
- Operations - monitors activities of the City's Operations Department (trash and recycling pick-up, snow and leaf removal, construction projects, Government Center operations, and WPCA activities)
- Parks & Recreation - monitors activities that fall under the Director of Parks & Recreation (maintenance and projects at all parks and beaches)
- Personnel - concerned with human resource matters (labor agreements & negotiations, arbitration awards, personnel policies, employment contracts for non-civil-service positions, pensions)
- Public Safety & Health - monitors activities of the Fire, Police, and Health Departments, along with the City's animal shelter, the anti-blight ordinance, and Stamford Emergency Medical Services
- State & Commerce - monitors State of Connecticut legislative and other activities, acts as liaison with state officials, reviews economic development activities
- Transportation - monitors activities of the City's Operations Department that relate to parking and traffic (street improvements, traffic calming, parking structures, train station lots and parking meters)
The Steering Committee sets the monthly Board agenda and committee meeting dates & assigns items to appropriate committees.